At Death Cafés people come together in a relaxed and safe setting to discuss death, drink tea and eat delicious sweets & cake.
Based upon the work of Bernard Crettaz, the Death Café model was developed by Jon Underwood in England in 2010. Taking our inspiration from Lizzy Miles, the first person to offer Death Cafés in the US, we are a community-based organization made up of volunteers committed to regularly providing opportunities to support open conversation and share resources about death, dying and how to make the most out of life.
Interest in Death Cafés has spread quickly across Europe, North America and Australasia. From September 2011 to the end of 2015, there have been 2,652 Death Cafés worldwide. If 10 people came to each one, that would be 26,520 participants!
At each of Ashland Death Café's events, we have had over 50 attendees with a wait list. Amazing!
Obviously, there are people who are keen to talk about death and we are proud to be among the many who are passionate enough to organize our own Death Café.
Death Cafés are always offered:
- On a not for profit basis
- In an accessible, respectful and confidential space
- As a discussion group rather than a grief support or counseling session
- With no intention of leading people to any conclusion, product or course of action
- Alongside refreshing drinks and nourishing food – and cake!
We remain energized by the amazing quality of the conversation at our events and are heartened by the interest we have received.
Please join us!
Your Ashland Death Café Facilitators
* We acknowledge the Ashland Death Cafe‘s image is derived from the Mexican culture’s El Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead). We appreciate how this culture celebrates death and holds it as part of the cycle of life and ancestral connection.
Our goal is to serve our community.
All facilitators of Ashland Death Café are unpaid volunteers.
Although the event is free, we will ask for a suggested $10 donation at the door. This covers the rental cost of the venue, refreshments, printing costs, plus other costs incurred to manage our website.
No one will be turned away due to lack of funds.